Uniform Tax Rebate

Our Website is being Re-designed and will be back to normal shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience.


Get Tax Refund from HMRC for your Uniforms

Buying clothing or tools and subscriptions to become registered employees in certain sectors for work can add up to a sizable sum of money over the years you spend working. Certain jobs absolutely require the use of specialized garments that can take a sizable chunk out of a worker’s paycheck. Of course, one must also think about the upkeep of these clothes, such as daily washing, the occasional dry cleaning and eventual reparations if need be. If the pieces ever need to be fully replaced after a few years, even more money is spent directly from the worker’s pocket. Fortunately, there is a way to be reimbursed for the money you may spend buying clothes specifically for work. Please keep in mind that there are certain criteria that must be met in order to have a tax refund under this law, however.

According to uniform tax rebate experts  “Tax rebate on uniform is not allowed for those whose employers pay for their clothing. The employer himself will be directly refunded in that case”. Clearly, the money spent must come directly out of the worker’s pocket in order to be reimbursed to you. Similarly, this benefit is not available to everyone. In most cases, workers cannot take advantage of this benefit if they do not wear a protective clothing or if their job does not require specialty clothing. Workers who have free reign over what they wear to work each day may not apply for any exemptions under the Uniform tax rebate. The only people who can benefit from this tax advantage are those who must use specialized pieces of clothing, uniforms or tools for their job. Keep in mind though, that even in a non-specialized sector, be it a restaurant or hair salon, if you must wear a identifiable clothing and you need to buy your own, you can be reimbursed for your yearly expenses.

Certain sectors of employment, for example the building trade or metalwork, require special garments and tools. Things like overalls, gloves, steel-toed boots and helmets are considered protective clothing for these jobs and are absolutely essential. If, in any case, you must buy these items out of your own pocket, be assured that their purchase will be taken to account when you file your taxes. Over the course of time, if you must pay out of pocket for any upkeep related to your work clothes, this too, can be reimbursed if your employer does not give you back the money first. It is wise to keep track of this information, so that eventually, going to file for a refund is an easier process. Articles of clothing that relate to you main work clothes, such as socks and work shoes are acceptable and money can be reclaimed for the cost of purchasing them.

To find out the exhaustive and official list of expenditures accepted for tax rebates, you can look at Form “EIM32475-Other expenses: clothing: uniforms.” In addition to clothing, certain trades require costly tools that you are required to have. For example, there are many tools that a barber would need to conduct his daily business and without these, he would be out of business The uniform tax refund calculations can be applied to such tools that are absolutely indispensable to your daily business, according to top HMRC uniform tax rebate specialist. Once again, keeping your receipts will greatly help when filing for your tax rebate form.

There are two different kinds of Uniform Tax Rebate. One might suit you better than the other, so it is wise to read in-depth about both types before making a final decision as to which to use on your tax form. The first type of deduction is for the actual amount that you have spent that year on uniforms or specialized tools. This is rather straightforward method of getting back your money, however, be prepared to itemize and possibly explain why each particular item is needed for your job.

The second possibility for a tax return is called a “flat rate deduction”. The flat rate deduction’ is an amount that has been pre-fixed by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). These rates have been fixed nationally on the most part. However, it is important to note that in some cases these rates can be changed based on your local area. A flat rate deduction will cover a pre-stabilized amount that is the average of what is normally spent on work uniforms and tools. The document “EIM32712-Other expenses: flat rate expenses: table of agreed amounts” conveniently lists various industries, occupations within, and the amount of money back that a worker can receive in deductions if he pays for his or her own gear. For example, all food service workers can ask for 60£ reduction, whereas those working in as ambulance staff on active duty have a reimbursement of 140 pounds. Certain military jobs, though, have special exceptions that are a bit different from most other occupations.

In addition to uniforms, if you need to subscribe to any professional organization for work, this is also a deduction for your tax return. Police Federation subscriptions, BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association) and the like are all examples of subscriptions that can be used for tax deductions at the end of the fiscal year. Generally, these fees can set you back hundreds of pounds, so it is wise to mention them here.

Now, you must go about actually filing your tax returns and ask for the deductions to be credited to you. If you do not fill in a tax return, there are two ways in which you can get tax relief for under the Uniform tax rebate. It is very important to note that the first time a tax relief is asked for, you must contact the offices of HM Revenue & Customs in writing via form P87- Tax Relief for expenses of employment. The form P87 includes detailed information regarding your expenses. Please be advised that you will be asked details as to how you arrived at the sum of your expected reimbursement. For those who have worked more than one job, be it by having multiple jobs or be it by changing jobs, during the course of the fiscal year, you must fill out a P87 form for each separate job that you have held.

If you have already filed for tax relief in the past, it is possible to phone the offices of HMRC in order to ask for your tax reimbursements if you meet certain criteria. The first criteria states that you must have expenses totaling less than £1,000 or less than 2,500 if you ask for reimbursements based on professional fees and subscriptions. Also, you must have had to claim these expenses in a previous tax year whilst working at the same place of employment only. The HM Revenue & Customs must have had to already accept your previous claim in order to eventually accept your current claim. It is not necessary at this point to fill in the P87 form. However, if in any case you do not meet the conditions set forth by HMRC, you will be asked to fill out a P87 form before your tax refund can be treated. On the other hand, if you meet all of the requirements asked of you, the reimbursement will be automatically sent to you. If in any case you have actually overpaid, that will be reimbursed to you as well at that time. The P87 form can be sent to the following address: HMRC, Pay As You Earn, P0 Box 1970, Liverpool, L75 1WX.

If you are a person who does fill in a tax return, the way you can go about asking for a tax return is a bit different. On your tax return’s employment page, you can note the allowable work expenses accorded under the Uniform tax refund. In this case, if you do fill out a tax return, there is no need for the completion of a P87 form.

There are different ways to get your tax refund back. The way you do get it back will depend on the amount of money that is actually being reimbursed to you. For any claims under or up to £2,500, the offices of HM Revenue & Customs will usually be treated instantly through your tax code. If you have only given a figure that has been estimated, you will have to wait to the end of the year to know the actual amount of the reimbursement. Any eventual adjustments that the HMRC makes to your estimated deductions will either be added or deducted from your next fiscal year’s tax code. If, on the other hand, you are asking for more than £2,500 in expenses claim, your reimbursement will be given on both this year’s and next year’s tax code. In this specific case, you will need to fill out a tax return as well.

It is also possible that this is the first you have heard about the Uniform tax rebate or perhaps you have forgotten to file your uniform tax deductions in the past and would now like to take advantage of it to the fullest. The good news is that you can certainly take advantage of the law for this year’s deductions, but, if applicable, you can also ask for the previous three years of work clothing or equipment. For the current tax year of 2013 to 2014, you must make your claim by 5 April 2018. For the tax year of 2012 to 2013, the claim must be made by 5 April 2017. 5 April 2016 is the last day a claim will be accepted from the 2011 to 2012 tax year and 5 April 2015 is the last date that any claims from the fiscal year of 2010 to 2011 can possibly be made. Fortunately, you can still file any claims you might have missed even for previous years and recuperate a bit of extra pocket money if you have ever had to pay out of pocket.

The Uniform tax rebate law is not a law that is particularly complicated. While it is not overly hard to figure out exactly how much you have coming in the form of a “flat rate deduction” or if you have all of your receipts for an itemized deduction, there are quite a few loopholes that the uninitiated may miss. Missing these, there is the possibility that you are missing out on deductions that are due to you. If you feel the need, there are many possibilities where you can have a tax professional help you with your tax return. Of course, there are brick and mortar stores where you can go and have a professional help you with your request. Now, however, there has been a profusion of online tax preparers. In fact, many specifically market the Uniform tax rebate as a selling point for their services. They will use your information to decide if you are first of all, eligible for any sort of tax return for your work clothing. From there, they can go through all of the loopholes with you to get the maximum amount of money returned to you.

Gone are the days where you go to work only to spend for your specialized work clothing, materials or your uniform. Thanks to the Uniform tax deduction law, it is easier and faster than ever to end the fiscal year with more money in your pocket than in the past if you work in an occupation where a uniform is necessary. Whether you decide to have a go at it yourself or if you would rather prefer the shrewd eye of a professional tax preparer online, always be sure the use care when filing for your Uniform tax deduction. If all of your documentation is in order, the HM Revenue & Customs has a speedy system to generally get you back your refund as soon as possible. While it may not be much, it will undoubtedly be a small help in the grand scheme of things.